My ex and I live in different parts of the province. How do I know where to go to court?

Alberta is divided into several areas called “judicial centres” (previously called “judicial districts”). Your situation will determine where you must file your documents.

For example, if you are going to Provincial Court for a child support order, the general rule is that the matter should be heard in the judicial centre in which the child lives. However, there are other considerations that may make the correct judicial centre difficult to determine. For example: what if the child spends equal time in 2 centres?

Different issues (for example, property issues) may have different rules too. Even for the same issue, the rules may be different in Provincial Court and the Court of Queen’s Bench. 

It will be important to understand your issues before you can decide where to go to court. Staff at Resolution and Court Administration Services can help with this.

Associated Information Pages