I can’t leave my abusive situation because I can’t afford to break my lease.


Alberta’s Residential Tenancies Act has recently changed. Now victims of abuse are allowed to break their lease early, without a financial penalty. To do this, you must give your landlord a certificate from the Alberta government’s Safer Spaces Processing Centre. The Safer Spaces Processing Centre can give you this certificate if you give them one of the following.

  • a copy of a protective order from a court (such as an Emergency Protection Order, Queen’s Bench Protection Order, restraining order, or peace bond); or
  • a letter from a “certified professional” confirming that you or your children are in danger.

See the Safer Spaces webpage for more information about getting a certificate.